5 Minutes Read
Tinsel town is in the mood for strip poker and Bollywood actor Aditya Roy Kapur is all up for it. And you will never guess who he wants to play it with? Any guesses? It’s yet another Bollywood hottie Tiger Shroff!
Talking of hotness, the heated court case between Mayland pro Joseph Stiers and international poker brand World Series of Poker (WSOP) has finally reached a stage of resolution as both parties have come to an undisclosed settlement.
However, not everyone seems to have reached a happy conclusion. As was the case with Bettor X who lost $3.8 Million by betting on the Los Angeles Rams to win the Super Bowl LIII.
Aditya Roy Kapur Wants to Play Strip Poker
Poker and Bollywood has always had a rather steamy connection. From the seductive Sunny Leone joining hands with India’s most trusted poker site PokerBaazi to the dashing Aamir Khan admitting on Koffee With Karan that poker is his guilty pleasure, poker has steadily ingrained itself within the high-profile Bollywood community. The latest star to join the poker bandwagon was Aashiqui 2 sensation Aditya Roy Kapur.
Kapur was recently a guest on the famed celebrity talk show hosted by producer Karan Johar, alongside acting peer Sidharth Malhotra. During the popular ‘Rapid Fire Round’ on the show, when asked who he would like to play strip poker with, Kapur instantly replied Tiger Shroff. “Look at that body”, he exclaimed!
Point well made! We wish Aditya all the best for his strip poker endeavours.
WSOP Reaches a Settlement With Joseph Stiers
Back in August 2018, news of Maryland poker pro Joseph Stiers seeking “equitable and injunctive relief” and punitive damages from Caesars Interactive Entertainment, the parent company of World Series of Poker (WSOP) had come through. In the latest update, Stiers and Caesars have very nearly reached a resolution.
A court filing dated February 1 read, “Good cause exists for the extension because the parties have reached a settlement and would like to continue the deadline for Defendants to respond to the Motion so that they can finalize the terms of the settlement.”
Back in 2017, Stiers was ejected from the WSOP Main Event without refund on Day 3 with a large stack of 630,000. Stiers was previously banned from Caesars’ Horseshoe Casino in Maryland after he created a ruckus when the casino suspected him of card counting at blackjack. Horseshoe confiscated $350 in chips from him and Caesars banned him from playing in any of their properties.
At the time of his eviction from the 2017 Main Event Stiers was among the top nine stacks. When the WSOP barred him from the event, it came to light that Stiers had been participating in WSOP events even after his 2015 ban from Horseshoe Baltimore, even placing 640th in the 2016 Main Event for $18,000. However, he was able to enter the events by playing as “Joseph Conorstiers”, which combined his middle and last names, and he registered for the event as a player hailing from Washington, D.C., rather than Maryland.
On June 8, Stiers filed a lawsuit against WSOP in federal court in Nevada. Stiers was acting as his own attorney.
Following the settlement now reached between Stiers and the global poker brand, the poker player said that he can’t comment on the terms of the settlement thanks to a confidentiality agreement.
“I would have preferred to take this case until the end,” he said, “but I’m working, in my final year of law school, and this case would have intersected with the timing of the Bar Exam, so I kind of just needed to put it to rest.”
A spokesperson for the WSOP also stated that Stiers is still barred from Caesars properties, so it appears the settlement doesn’t involve a lifting of the ban. The WSOP said it couldn’t comment on the litigation.
The response from the poker community was mixed, but there was some sympathy for Stiers’ situation from Jason Philpott and Cliff Goldkind.
@wsopSUITd please let joe Stiers play wsop, being banned for trying to count cards shouldn’t ruin his poker career #letjoeplay
— Jason Philpott (@bubbleoutcas) April 3, 2015
Good friend @Joe_stiers Spent 12 years of his life dedicated to poker for the opportunity to compete in the wsop main. Had 665k and just 1/
— Cliff Goldkind (@CliffGoldkind) July 14, 2017
However, not everyone was sympathetic.
it sucks your banned Joe and I feel bad about that, but playing the main event–knowing your banned. Man thats just not very smart….
— Christian Harder (@realcharder30) July 14, 2017
Gambler Loses $3.8 Million For Betting on Los Angeles Rams to Win the Super Bowl
An unknown sports bettor who had previously enjoyed a good run at the Las Vegas sportsbooks and won millions over the years, recently suffered a massive loss of $3.8 Million this past Sunday. The bettor had put his money on the Los Angeles Rams defeating the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII.
The man who, has been dubbed ‘Bettor X’ by the media, placed three huge bets spread out among different Las Vegas sportsbooks. All three were wagered on the money-line bet for the Rams to win the game.
According to ESPN, Bettor X placed a $2 million bet at MGM on Thursday, another $1.5 million bet on Friday, and a final $300,000 on the Rams at South Point just a few hours later. All three bets were made at +120 odds.
Sadly, for Bettor X, the Rams lost 13-3 resulting in him losing a substantial chunk of his money.
However, not everyone had the same misfortune as Bettor X. One lucky gambler bet $250 on the Rams to score exactly three points. It paid out six-figures.
That’s a cool $100,000 winner.
— Ben Fawkes (@BFawkesESPN) February 4, 2019