Online Poker in India: The First Steps
While the world’s first e-mail poker tournament aka Worldwide Rec. Gambling Poker Tournament (WRGPT) was held in 1991, online poker set foot in India with the launch of online poker site Adda52 in January 2012.
The growing interest for poker in India led to launch of many new indigenous online poker setups and it wasn’t long before big international names like The Stars Group-owned PokerStars came knocking on the doors of Indian virtual players with its PokerStars India client.
Today, there’s a healthy choice of poker sites for a domestic player to choose from, offering a user-friendly gaming experience to the recreational and the professional player alike.
Selecting an Online Poker Room
Playing online poker starts with selecting a poker room. Navigate through the various Indian websites available and once you’re familiar with the structure, games offered, bonuses and offers on different active poker websites, you can go in to register not just in one but as many as you want to play in.
- Before playing poker online, decide on what kind of game you want to play: Cash games or Tournaments.
- Most online poker sites host regular freerolls and opting to play in these is an excellent way for a beginner to build his/her bankroll with, without having to deposit any real money. The deposit mechanisms for different sites vary and you have to choose what works for you best.
- If you’re new to online poker, you may want to exercise caution before putting real money online, so look for value in tournaments. Many websites offer games and tournaments with low buy-ins and competing in these can help you start and get the hang of the basics of the game.
- There is continuous, 24×7 action through the week on the online poker sites. Hunt for the best promotional offers and bonuses that could range from Instant bonus, locked bonus or special offers.
- Many established sites offer great value by putting up attractive guaranteed prize pools even putting in money to cover an overlay in case the targeted entry field is not reached so that the players don’t lose out in terms of prize money. Keep an eye open for such tournaments and identify sites that offer such tournaments.
The most important step for a newcomer to online poker is to crosscheck the reliability of the poker site he is accessing and planning to play on. Make sure that the online poker room you’re playing on conforms to the laws of the land and is legally safe to register in.
PokerGuru provides a detailed list of the reliable Online Poker Rooms operational in India. We take utmost caution in listing only the most trusted sites in our Top Online Poker Rooms section and any online poker site found involved in dubious activities is immediately removed from our list.